Follies (Full Vocal Score)
Sondheim's Follies: Themes
Follies in Concert on DVD
Follies explores the former lives of now middle-aged performers on the eve of the destruction of the theatre where they once performed. As the former performers reunite, the audience sees the ghosts of their former selves, and a secondary plot immerges as we see the history between characters.
Follies is a wonderful choice to showcase talented "older" performers, as all of the characters are middle aged or elderly, with the exception of the younger versions of Phyllis, Ben, Buddy, & Sally. Other young performers can form the chorus for the many flashback sequences.
Audition Suggestions for Follies
Most of the characters in Follies must be able to jazz/tap dance well. There is also a dance chorus.
- Sally Durant Plummer (Soprano, 49)
- Former showgirl. Flightly, unstable, sweet.
- Roscoe (Tenor)
- Former emcee, showstopper voice
- Buddy Plummer (Baritone)
- Sally's husband. Exhausted middle-class salesman.
- Phyllis Rogers Stone (Mezzo/Alto)
- Former showgirl. Elegant, well-read, polished.
- Hattie Walker (Alto, 65 - 80)
- Steely, tough
- Benjamin Stone (Baritone)
- Phyllis' husband. Worldly, wealthy, suave.
- Stella Deems (Mezzo)
- Former showgirl. Heavyset.
- Heidi Schiller (Mature Soprano, 70 - 90)
- former great performer
- Solange La Fitte (Mezzo, "66")
- French. Very fashionable.
- Dimitri Weissman (non-singing)
- Former producer of the Weissman Follies
- Carlotta Campion (Alto)
- A one-time movie star
- Other Former Weissman Girls...
- Vanessa (tango), Meredith Lane, Dee Dee West
- Emily Whitman (70s), Francesca, Christine Donovan,
- Former Weissman Men...
- Vincent (Tango), Max Deems, Theodore Whitman (70s),
- Willy Wheeler
- Former acrobat, now out of shape.
- Young Phyllis (Mezzo), Young Ben (High Baritone), Young Buddy (Tenor), Young Sally (Soprano), Young Stella, Young Heidi, Major-domo, Chauffeur, Kevin (a waiter)