Into The Woods Karaoke Background Tracks CD
Into the Woods Script & Score
Into the Woods Complete Vocal Score
Into the Woods Vocal Selections (Sheet Music)
Into the Woods 1990 Stage Version on Film
Into the Woods Original Broadway Cast Video
Into the Woods Original 1991 London Cast Recording
Into the Woods Original 1987 Broadway Cast Recording
Into the Woods combines the well-known fairy tales of Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Little Red Ridinghoood with the story of the Baker and his Wife who desperately want a child. Unfortunately, the Baker and his Wife have been cursed with childlessness by a witch and must perform various missions involving the characters in the other fairy tales to break the spell. The Baker and his Wife must bring the witch a cow as white as milk, a cape as red as blood, hair as yellow as corn, and a slipper as pure as gold. After a series of failed attempts, the Baker and his Wife finally are able to perform the tasks necessary to break the spell. Once the characters have accomplished their goals, however, they learn about the pitfalls of greed and gluttony. Finally, they learn about the need for community and family when they must unite to fight against the wife of the giant Jack killed who has decided to come back for revenge.
Audition Preparation Suggestions for
Into The Woods
Not only is there a great deal of music in Into The Woods, it is also very difficult music both to learn and to sing. If you hope to have a role, vocal training is absolutely necessary. This show does not have a chorus.
- Baker (Baritone - A to high G, 28 - 40)
- An insecure man whom desperately wants a child but due to the Witch's curse, cannot. A bumbling man who hesitates to make decisions and often comes across as chauvanistic in his attempts to take control.
- Baker's Wife (Mezzo - G to high F, 26 - 38)
- Desperate for a child. Headstrong, confident, intelligent.
- Narrator/Mysterious Man (Baritone - G to high E, 30+)
- Story Teller, "over the top" old man (Rip Van Winkle type)
- Cinderella (Soprano - G to high G, 17 - 26)
- beleaguered young maiden, both soft and severe.
- Jack (Tenor - A to high G, high vocal capability, 15 - 24)
- an abstracted boy who loves his cow
- Jack's Mother (Soprano - B to high F#, 40 - 55)
- Witch (Mezzo - low F to high F, vocally versatile, 25 - 99)
- An evil and ugly old woman who places a curse on the baker and his wife preventing them from having children. By the end of the show, she has turned into a young and beautiful woman. Bernadette Peters type.
- Rapunzel (Lyric Soprano - C to high A#, 18 - 30)
- The baker's lost sister who is being held captive by the witch. She spends her days combing her hair. Mentally unstable.
- Little Red Ridinghood (Mezzo - B to high F, 12 - 17)
- A well-fed and rosy cheeked young woman. Transforms from an innocent to a street-wise brat.
- Rapunzel's Prince (Tenor - C# to high E, moves well, 23 - 32)
- Cinderella's Prince (Tenor - B to high F, moves well, 23 - 32)
- Wolf (Dark Baritone - B to high Gb)
- A beast with a huge "appetite".
- Prince's Steward
- an obnoxious yes-man
- Stepmother, (Mezzo - A# to high F)
Florinda & Lucinda (Mezzo - C to high E)
- May be played by male or female. Wicked.
- Cameos: Cinderella's Father, Mother, & Granny
- Unofficial Into the Woods Homepage
- Production casts, libretto, pictures, sound files, message board, links
Sondheim Guide/Into the Woods
- Anyone Can Whistle - Or Can They?
- An interesting analysis of what it takes to perform a Sondheim role.
- Into The Woods Jr. Audition Preparation Materials
Browse more shows with roles for teens
- Prologue: Into the Woods,
- Once Upon A Time
- Jack Jack Jack
- Witch's Entrance
- Cinderella at the Grave
- Into the Woods
- Hello, Little Girl
- I Guess This Is Goodbye
- Maybe They're Magic
- Baker's Reprise
- I Know Things Now
- A Very Nice Prince
- First Midnight
- Giants in the Sky (Jack)
- It Takes Two
- Second Midnight
- Stay With Me
- On the Steps of the Palace
- Ever After
- Act II Prologue: So Happy
- Agony (reprise)
- Any Moment
- Moments in the Woods
- Your Fault
- Last Midnight
- No More
- No One Is Alone
- Finale: Children Will Listen
- Back to the Palace
- Interesting Questions
- Just Like Last Night
- Boom Crunch!
Songs Added for London Production