Paint Your Wagon 1969 Film Version On DVD
Paint Your Wagon 1969 Film Soundtrack
Paint Your Wagon Original Broadway Cast Rec.
The California Wilderness, 1853. Jennifer finds gold, and the town of Rumson is born. Four hundred men arrive, and Jennifer is the only woman. She falls in love with Julio, but he leaves on a prospecting quest, and she leaves for finishing school. Eventually they are reunited.
Do not use the movie version to judge the stage version. It bares only a vague resemblance to the original script.
The published script is quite slow, so is often cut down.
Audition Preparation Suggestions for
Paint Your Wagon
Light dancing is required: square-dancing, etc.
- Ben Rumson (Baritone)
- Widowed resident of a gold rush town. Crusty but loveable. Lee Marvin type.
- Jennifer Rumson (Alto, 16 - 20)
- Ben's daughter, in love with Julio. First innocent, then sophisticated.
- Julio Valveras (Tenor)
- an ambitious Mexican miner, in love with Jennifer
- Edgar Crocker
- Jacob Woodling (Baritone)
- a Mormon with two wives searching for a place to settle down after being chased out of every other town in America
- Sarah Woodling (limited range)
- (and her baby)
- Elizabeth (limited range)
- The second of Jacob's wives who is sold to Ben. Falls in love with Edgar Crocker.
- Jake and Cherry Whippany
- owners of a dancing hall
- Other inhabitants of the mining town - 6F/8M minimum