You Sing The Hits of West Side Story (Karaoke)
Original West Side Story Broadway Cast Recording
West Side Story 1997 Revival Recording
Bernstein Conducts WSS
1961 West Side Story Film Version
West Side Story Karaoke Background Tracks CD
West Side Story Vocal Selections (Sheet Music)
Complete West Side Story Vocal Score
West Side Story (Original Broadway Cast) - Download The Album Now!
|West Side Story
A modern-day Romeo and Juliet story set in the New York City slums. The lovers belong to rival gangs (ethnically based) who appose their union. After a fight between the Jets and the Sharks, Tony ends up killing Maria's brother, Bernardo. Bitter over losing Maria's love and the death of Bernardo, Maria's Puerto Rican suitor, Chino, shoots Tony dead.
Audition Preparation Suggestions
For West Side Story
West Side Story relies heavily on it's choreography and requires a high degree of dance skill in both jazz and/or ballet as well as overall athletic ability from all characters except for Doc, Gladhand, and the policemen.
This show features characters of a specific ethnicity. See our list of other shows with characters of particular ethnicities to aid in the search for audition material.
- Tony (lyric baritone or tenor to Bb, light dancing, 18-25)
- young, self-assured, passionate yet gentle Polish-American, Riff's best friend and former Jet leader
- Maria (legit soprano to high C, light dancing, 15 - 20)
- nubile and sweet sister of the Shark leader, Bernardo. Newly arrived from Puerto Rico, she is enthusiastic about her new life but obedient towards her brother
- Lt. Schrank and Officer Krupke (any voice types)
- The policemen who investigate & attempt to prevent gang violence.
- Riff (Tenor to F, 17 - 25)
- the hot-headed yet intelligent leader of the Jets
- Bernardo (Baritone to E, 18 - 29)
- Brooding leader of the Sharks and Maria's older brother. Has a cool exterior but burns inside with passion and anger.
- Anita (Alto/Mezzo, F below C to D5, 18 - 29)
- Bernardo's girlfriend, works with Maria in the bridal shop. Fiery yet compassionate, strong, sensual, intense, protective, outspoken.
- Chino (any voice type, some dance, 18 - 25)
- a quiet, intense member of the Sharks - Maria's jealous and crazed suitor
- Doc (Non-singing, 40 - 60)
- long-suffering proprietor of the drugstore - capable of both dramatic and comic scenes
- Baby John (Baritone F4 - F5, 14 - 19)
- Youngest Jet and "scardicat"
- Anybodys (Any voice type, 16 - 25)
- a misunderstood and unaccepted tomboy who dreams of becoming a Jet
- Gladhand (any voice type, 30 - 55)
- A nervous social worker
- Action (Baritone C4 - F5, 16-25)
- A Jet who acts first and thinks later
- Diesel (Baritone E4 - F5, 16 -25)
- a physically imposing member of the Jets
- Arab (Baritone F4 - F5, 16 - 25)
- a homeless Jet with an alchoholic father
- Rosalia (Mezzo A3 to D5, 16 - 25)
Consuela (Mezzo C4 - F5, 16 - 25)
Velma & Graziella (any voice type, 16 - 23)
- Other gang members and their girlfriends